Sunday, June 12, 2011

What is Public Space? Unfinished Sketch at Nan Lian Garden 公共空間? 未完成的南蓮園池寫生作品

What is Public Space? Unfinished Sketch at Nan Lian Garden 公共空間? 未完成的南蓮園池寫生作品
When I started laying the watercolour after the line work, two security guards approached me and said I had to stop.  Dumbfounded, I asked them why.  One of the guards explained it was a place for appreciating the beauty of the garden so painting is not allowed.   Wasn't I appreciating the beauty of the garden I thought?!   I left for the garden office and discussed with the office staff there and they explained again, painting is not allowed as they think if everyone does the same, the place would become dirty.  They went on to explain how expensive the paving, stones and rock tables were and so protecting them from damage was necessary.   

準備多加一點水彩,突然出現兩位護衛,叫我不要再畫! 其中一位說此地係讓人欣賞園景,不是作畫的! 真是莫名其妙!再到庭園辦事處詢問時,那裡的職員解釋說南蓮園池的地磚、石塊同檯椅等等均價值不菲,必須保護云云。



5 comments:

  1. I really like your line weight in this one, and the light washes that you applied to the piece, makes it all the more appreciative. I totally agree with you on the whole situation of the guards, but dont let that stop you from drawing and painting out in public. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if watercolours would permanently damage stone! :-) Lovely sketch. Takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SKIZO, Lina-Paola and JaneA for your appreciations and support:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF!!?>!>!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    It's obvious where the arts stands in the matters of the HK Government. Pffffffft

    ReplyDelete